Pages

Sunday 24 July 2011

Day 3: Sunday - day of rest?

Often we get caught up in the idea of what 'rest' is. Some are strict/legalistic about it - 'you shouldn't work on a Sunday'. But the Bible points (always) to what is in our heart. God wants us to work hard and take appropriate rest from work. The best model for this is a seven-day pattern, where we work for six and rest on the seventh. He created this model for us to follow. OK preaching section over, now on to what I'm doing...

Well, I'm only on my third day, so no rest for me yet! However, I'm not yet at the point of working 'too hard' as I'm trying to build this up bit-by-bit. Looking at the weather today and the wind was so strong it was blowing roof tiles off buildings. So today (apart from walking to church) was not a day for venturing out, especially not to run! So I thought I'll do some indoor stuff.
Now, on the first day (just two days ago) I managed to muster just 10 press ups and a few sit-ups! I thought to myself: I must be able to beat that. So, to warm myself up, I did 50 star jumps (nearly killed me, but hey-ho). A glass of water a lots of panting later, I sat on the floor in the same position as two days ago, contemplating my next move. I crawled over to the middle of the floor and assumed the press-up position. 1, 2, 3... come on Pete, just a few more... 4, 5, 6... straining now, but determined to beat my 10... 7, 8, 9 (through clenched teeth), 10. Slowing down, but pushing through the pain, 11, 12, 13... come on Pete, you can do it, I thought to myself, 14.... one more 15, collapsing onto my chest. Another glass of water and break for 5 minutes, then back onto my chest for the next endurance session. Counting from 15, I slowly and painstakingly made it to 25.
While the lid's off, I thought, let's get the sit-ups over a done with. These were slightly easier this time, don't know why. Crunching my stomach muscles I managed to muster 30 straight, but decided at this point to quit while I'm ahead.
Made a mental note of my achievements, then went for a shower with a big grin on my face. Why I was smiling, I don't know, I really haven't achieved all that much yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment