Pages

Saturday 23 July 2011

Day 2: digging out those old running shoes

Last night I realised, after beginning this blog journey that I had been all talk and no action. At 11.30 last night I had yet to do a single physical thing to exercise. So, after brushing my teeth and feeling utterly exhausted from the day, I sat on the floor at the foot of my bed and contemplated what I should do. Going gradually (like an old man who hasn't stood up for a long time) I moved onto all fours and assumed the press-up stance. Down up down up, I managed eight, then struggling, nine, then one final push... ten. Collapsing on the last one in exhaustion! As I lay on my front I thought: 'sit ups will be easier'. So I roll over and begin doing some crunches. One, two, three... nope, these are just as hard. Feeling somewhat defeated, but happy that I'd at least 'done something', I crawled into bed and lay back thinking about my 'achievement'. In most people's books, what I had just done was pathetic. A 31-year-old healthy man should be able to muster more than 10 press-ups and a handful of sit-ups. Yet I was strangely happy. I knew that without this blog, I wouldn't have done anything at all. There's something about making a declaration -- even if nobody in the world ever reads this -- pushes you to honour it.

'Lord, let me be more tomorrow than I was today and help me to honour my body and the commitment I have made to change'.

Well, I woke up this morning not feeling in the least like I would love to 'go out for a jog'. However, a little niggling feeling I had inside made me not want to feel the same kind of defeat that I felt last night. "If I start with exercise, I can know that at least I have 'done' something on day 2!" I thought to myself. So, in the darkness that is a winter morning, trying not to wake my wife or baby boy who are soundly asleep, I rummage around trying to dig out my old running shoes which haven't been worn in over a year.  Aha, I find them, covered in dust and cobwebs and looking worse-for-wear.

These aren't they, but similar (and I can't be bothered to dig out my camera!). I also search around for some light jogging bottoms and a t-shirt. OK, I'm ready. I had a route in my head that would be 'easy' but something to get me started. So, heading out into the dawn light, I began by power-walking. It was cold and I thought to myself "why do people do this 'for fun'"!?

As I walked, I felt my body beginning to warm up and thereby reducing the edge to the cold cape doctor. By the time I reached the 7-11 about 1 km from my house I knew that it was time to start jogging. Whether it was stupidity or just my naiive nature, I started on a steep incline up to Boyes Drive. As I got 2/3 of the way up this 500 metre incline, I felt I couldn't go on, panting and feeling thoroughly miserable I decided to walk the rest of the way to the top of this road (which includes steps at the end). However, again when I reached the top I had a similar feeling to last night. Had I not started this blog, I probably wouldn't have ventured out in the cold this morning. Yet here I am, panting after going for my first jog in quite some time. A smile came on my face as I started to think about how incredible the human brain is, when it comes to psychologically tricking yourself into something. I know I won't be buff and in perfect health by the end of thirty days, but I may have developed a habit/routine that will get me on the road there. When my son grows up, he will not remember the pot belly his dad had when he was born, as (future Pete speaking here), his dad will be well toned, fit and an example for him to follow. Let it be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment